· Describe navigation through ACM graphical user interface
· Provides a quick tour of Aspen Custom Modeler with a simple example
· Learn how to create a flowsheet
· Workshop: Build a simple flowsheet and run the simulation.
Review of Equation Oriented Concepts
· Explain; Equation Oriented modeling, Principle of system resolution, Steady state modes, Initialization and dynamic modes
Overview of the Modeling Language
· Explain Aspen Custom Modeler language syntax for: Model, Variable Types, Port Types
· Workshop: Illustrate Variable Type, Port Type and Model.
· Identify and explain the parameter types used by Aspen Custom Modeler
· Explain Structural and Run Time conditions
· Workshop: Extend a tank model to add an overflow port
· Identify and explain stream types used by Aspen Custom Modeler
· Workshop: Create a stream type to convert from volume flowrate to mass flowrate.
· Present less important details on modeling language and graphical user interface
§ Workshop: Build a model for a non-isothermal CSTR reactor, cooled with a jacket
· Explain how to declare sets (group of elements).
· Show how to use sets.
· Identify and explain multiports
· Workshop: Illustrate the use of sets, arrays and multiports..
· Show how to display data in Aspen Custom Modeler graphical user interface using Forms
· Explain different types of forms; Table, Plots, History Table
· Workshop: Create model forms.
Submodels and Hierarchy Blocks
· Explain submodels and Hierarchy blocks
· Workshop: Build a model using submodels.
· Identify and explain structure types.
· Workshop: Use the structure type to store saturation pressure parameters.
· Workshop: Use the structure type to store reaction data.
Handling Components and Physical Properties
· Show how to set up properties to be used by Aspen Custom Modeler
· Explain how to create Component lists
· Show how to handle physical property calculation with procedures and submodels
· Workshop: Use Aspen Properties for the physical property calculations in ACM
· Identify the purpose of snapshots and results
· Explain usage of snapshot management tool
· Show where snapshots and results are located
· Rewind and Restart operations
· Copy Values and Advanced Copy Values
· Workshop: Illustrate the use of Rewind and Snapshots.
· Identify the purpose of tasks
· Explain syntax of task instructions
· Workshop: Use the task feature to model a lifting valve and a step change on a variable.
· Identify and explain group decomposition, variable equivalencing and non-linear system resolution.
· Discuss modeling advice recommendations
· Review convergence troubleshooting options
· Workshop: Use some of tools and settings available in Aspen Custom Modeler to troubleshooting convergence problems.
· Review integrator options
· Present concept of index
· Provide advice for troubleshooting
· Show Simulation scripts
· Show how to run ACM from Excel (Automation)
· Workshop: Complete the workshop to illustrate use of scripts in Aspen Custom Modeler
· Complete the workshop to illustrate use of automation of Aspen Custom Modeler with Excel.
· Create procedures to interface ACM to FORTRAN/C/C++ calculations
· Model partial differential equations
· Introduction to Estimation
· Review of optimization capabilities
· Export ACM models to Aspen Plus (or Aspen HYSYS®)
· Demonstrate Aspen Model Runner
· Each lecture is typically followed by a workshop